Thursday 27 March 2008

Beloved and Aged


My great-grandmother (my Oma) has moved from her little apartment to a room in the home and so some of her things have been passed to others in the family. Her daughter (my Grammy) and daughters-in-law helped her go through her things. She's still in good health, but has come to that point...well...I don't really know what that point is. She's always been pretty independent, steadfastly so, and so it's hard for me to imagine at my comparatively young age what kind of a decision, personal and familial, that must have been.

Now two of her china teacups have a home here, as well as the tablecloth. If I'm honest, I'll tell you that the china teacups, although pretty, came along more out of respect than desiring or needing them. Also, I don't particularly remember Oma using china teacups. But they certainly do evoke her spirit - always properly dressed, always kind and with lovely manners. Lunches with the ladies of the church, that kind of thing (although don't be misled, she's got a good sense of humour and plays a mean game of dominoes!) So I'm glad to be their caretaker; Safiya and I will have a proper tea party one of these days, with tea and little cakes and manners...I suppose part of this post is really a reminder to myself to take some time out to go and visit Oma...

When my Grammy passed me the very cool 40's tablecloth, she looked at me rather seriously and said, "I know you like these. But I don't want to see Safiya wearing this. This is supposed to stay as a tablecloth."

Yes, Grammy.

(But it would make a perfect little smock!)

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Lovely! Now that grandma's passed, I cherish the things of hers all the more.

No tea cups here, but I do have some vintage fiesta ware.

Heather said...

I love, love, love that picture and the items in it! I'm a bit tea cup obsessed if I can be completely honest. I'm loath to use my really old ones though in case I break one and then it isn't around for me to gaze at anymore!