Saturday 5 May 2007

Expectations (In Which the Blog Stands in For Therapist)

Ms. Blog: How are you, Marnie? It seems you're under a bit of stress?
M: Well, not really stress...I'm trying to enjoy the
process, you know?
Ms. Blog: Is that why you are thinking about the next project even while you're sewing something?
M: Have you ever sewn 10 of something?
Ms. Blog: I don't think we're here to talk about me, Marnie....
M: - well, I'm just saying that the 40-th seam gets.....ahem (in a small voice) tedious. You know, in an exciting, anticipatory way....
Ms. Blog:
Are you saying you're not enjoying this?
M:
(in fear of having uttered heresy) no! no! I'm really enjoying all the crafting I've been able to do lately! It's just that I have this image in my head of the perfect craft booth, and I know I can do it, if I just work a little harder...I want it to be a place that people will enjoy popping in to.....
Ms. Blog:
For a 4-hour fair?
M:
Yes, well -

They are rudely interrupted by someone brusquely throwing the door open and striding into the room -

Ms. Blog: Excuse me! This is a private session!
Marnie:
Oh no! Go away!
Unknown Intruder:
Marnie has sewing to do.
Ms. Blog:
Who are you?
Unknown Intruder: (grabbing Marnie by the arm and dragging her out the door)
I'm her Expectations.
Ms. Blog: (shouting after them)
Marnie! Clearly you have boundary issues with your expectations!.....


Clearly.....

2 comments:

Berlinswhimsy said...

Ah, I can relate. I pondered the idea of sewing stuff for a store here in town but I just don't know if I could do it! The same thing over & over...I'm bad about that.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

oh how i know those pesky expectations. without fail i've found that good-for-you expectations (making cool stuff, having fun) morph into complete monsters whenever stress is added to the mix... so good to see you're keeping a sense of humor, marnie! know that i'm cheering for you!